CCF Inspection 2017
This year’s Combined Cadet Force (CCF) Inspection was conducted by Capt James Rowntree, Adjutant, 7 Rifles in the Quad. Captain Rowntree was joined for the Inspection by the Warden, the School’s CCF Staff Instructor Simon Frazer, and CCF Contingent Commander Nick Coram-Wright. Members of all three sections of the School’s CCF contingent – Army, Navy, and Royal Air Force – took part in the Parade, Inspection and Prize Giving.
After the three sections of the CCF had taken up their positions, the Guard of Honour marched into the Quad. Made up of 37 pupils from all three CCF sections, they were led this year by Colour Sergeant Will Webb.
This wonderful occasion in school life is also attended by members of the Shells who can get a sense of the ceremonial aspects of the CCF which they can look forward to in later years. A splendid accompaniment, ranging from the more traditional to a lively and entertaining modern medley of Abba records, was provided by the School’s Concert Band, conducted by Assistant Director of Music, Richard Powell.
A 20:20 cricket match followed the Inspection between a School XI and a team from The Rifles, with St Edward’s posting 238-3 in their 20 overs and The Rifles still to bat at the time of writing.
The CCF Award Winners this year were as follows:
- Sword of Honour: Colour Sergeant Will Webb
- Sultan Award, Navy Section: Able Seaman George Williamson
- Wakeling Stick, Army Section: Corporal Jack Verschoyle
- Hopes Award, RAF Section: Sergeant Rob McKersie
- Commendation Medals: Sergeant Eleanor Lewington; Sergeant Tanaka Chitsenga; Sergeant Max Hinton; Sergeant Arthur Churchill
- Top Guns: Lance Corporal Oscar Inglis-Jones (Army); Lance Corporal Tim Hohage (RAF).
A gallery of photos from the CCF Inspection are available here.