Dance Scholarships at St Edward’s are available for entry at 13+ and 16+
The closing date for 13+ applications is Monday 7th January 2018, the 16+ entrance and scholarship deadline was Monday 15th October 2018.
andidates will show considerable natural ability and have begun to reach high standards on the stage. We are looking for individuals who possess the attributes that are vital to any stage production: dedication, reliability, flexibility, imagination and team working skills. They will justify their scholarship by acting as an example to others through their high levels of motivation and their approach to all aspects of school life.
The audition will include:
- Participation in a group dance exercise
- Learning and performing a street jazz/modern dance routine
- An interview with the Head of Dance and Director of Cultural Activities
- A performance of a prepared solo in any style of the candidate’s choice. This should not be more than one and a half minutes long. Candidates should bring music, if required, on CD, iPod, or similar. Choreography can be by the candidate or another choreographer; candidates should be prepared to say something about the piece, its music and its choreography
Candidates are asked to submit a portfolio of their dance achievements to include information on examinations passed, competitions and performances, teachers, workshops and photographs. Candidates may wish to submit an excerpt of one of their performances on video or DVD. The portfolio should be submitted with the application form.
Award holders will:
- Undertake a minimum of four dance classes per week to include two core classical technique classes and two in disciplines of the pupil’s choice. Participation in additional classes is encouraged, but these will be at the individual’s expense
- Undertake independent practice and study of dance and keep a reflective log of their dance experience
- Make a full contribution to the performing arts life of the school, participating as much as possible in school theatrical productions, especially musical theatre and dance performances, and attending dance events arranged by the school
For more information about Dance at St Edward’s, please click here.