Years 9 (13+) From 2022
St Edward’s welcomes:
- Approx 145 pupils into the Shell Year (Y9), aged 13
- Children at prep schools come via Common Entrance or the Prep School Baccalaureate
- Children who are not at prep schools take an online Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning Assessment in the January of the year of entry
Pupils applying from overseas whose first language is not English must submit a UKISET test before registration.
For details of Scholarships, Awards (Years 9 and 12 only) and Bursaries, click here.
Please note, the information below relates to application for entry in to Year 9, from September 2022 onwards.
How to apply for entry in to Year 9, September 2022 onwards (13+): the Shell Year
In Year 4 or 5
Visit the School. We recommend the best time to do so is when your child is 8 or 9 years old. There are a number of ways in which to do so:
- Smaller Virtual Open Mornings are held most Saturdays during term time
- Main Open Mornings are held annually in May
- An individual visit can also be arranged
Further details on our Arrange a Visit page
After your visit, if you think St Edward’s might be the right School for your child, we suggest you register. Pupils must be registered to sit exams and have visited the School. Only registered pupils will be considered for a place.
October/November of Year 6
ISEB Common Pre-Test
- Children intending to join St Edward’s who are currently coming through the prep school route are asked to sit the ISEB Pre-Test in October or November of Year 6.
January of Year 6
- Your child will be invited to visit St Edward’s for an interview and a report will be sought from their school. Places are then offered to registered children subject to entrance exams (either Common Entrance, the Prep School Baccalaureate, or the 13+ online Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning Assessment. Pupils must be registered to sit exams.
- The £1,500 acceptance deposit is payable to confirm a place; £1,000 is refunded on final account. It is also refunded if your child does not meet the required standard in the exams or is removed on medical grounds.
January of Year 8
- Pupils not applying from a prep school attend an interview, sit a 13+ online Verbal or Non-Verbal Reasoning Assessment and places are confirmed
Scholarships and Awards
St. Edward’s offers a range of Scholarships and Awards to support the School’s ethos of encouraging participation and excellence across all areas of School life.
Click on these entries to read more:
13+ covering Art, Dance, Drama and Design Technology
16+ covering Art, Dance and Drama
Dates for Scholarship and Award applications, examinations and trials can be found here.
June of Year 8
- Children from prep schools sit Common Entrance or complete the Prep School Baccalaureate
- All places are confirmed and joining papers are distributed