Years 9 (13+) From 2022
St Edward’s welcomes:
- Approx 145 pupils into the Shell Year (Y9), aged 13
- Children at prep schools come via Common Entrance
- Children who are not at prep schools take our own 13+ entrance exams in January of the year of entry
- All 13+ candidates may sit the Academic Scholarship exams
Approximately 10 pupils into the Fourth Form (Y10) to begin IGCSE and GCSE courses. These children sit our own 14+ entrance exams in January of the year of entry.
Pupils applying from overseas whose first language is not English must submit a UKISET test before registration.
For details of scholarships (Years 9 and 12 only) and bursaries, click here.
Please note, the information below relates to application for entry in to Year 9, from September 2022 onwards.
How to apply for entry in to Year 9, September 2022 onwards (13+): the Shell Year
In Year 4 or 5
Visit the School. We recommend the best time to do so is when your child is 8 or 9 years old. There are a number of ways in which to do so:
- Smaller Open Mornings are held most Saturdays during term time
- Main Open Mornings are held annually in May
- An individual visit can also be arranged
Further details on our Arrange a Visit page
After your visit, if you think St Edward’s might be the right School for your child, we suggest you register. Pupils must be registered to sit exams and have visited the School. Only registered pupils will be considered for a place.
October/November of Year 6
ISEB Common Pre-Test
- Children intending to join St Edward’s who are currently coming through the prep school route are asked to sit the ISEB Pre-Test in October or November of Year 6.
January of Year 6
- Your child will be invited to visit St Edward’s for an interview and a report will be sought from their school. Places are then offered to registered children subject to entrance exams (either Common Entrance, Academic Scholarship or our own 13+ entrance exams). Pupils must be registered to sit exams.
- The £800 acceptance deposit is payable to confirm a place; £500 is refunded on final account. It is also refunded if your child does not meet the required standard in the exams or is removed on medical grounds.
March of Year 8
- Children applying from any school may sit for the 13+ Academic Scholarship
- Children applying from any school with a particular interest in STEM subjects may also apply for a specific STEM Scholarship
- Apply for the 13+ Academic and STEM Scholarships by clicking here
- Scholarships are awarded approximately one week after Scholarship Week
June of Year 8
- Children from prep schools sit Common Entrance
- All places are confirmed and joining papers are distributed
Fourth Form Entry
January of Year 9
- Children sit our own 14+ entrance exams and attend an interview; places are offered shortly afterwards
- Pupils must be registered to sit exams
- Past papers are available here
- Once a place is offered, parents are asked to pay the £800 acceptance deposit within two weeks; £500 is repayable on final account